Tamsui Customs Wharf
Located at No.259, Zhongzheng Rd., Tamsui Dist., New Taipei City 251, Taiwan (R.O.C.). Tamsui Customs Wharf is at the end of Tamsui Old Street.
After the Tianjing Treaty (1858) and the Beijing Treaty (1860), several seaports in Taiwan were opened to international trading vessels. One of the ports was Tamsui. In June 1861 Robert Swinhoe, Vice-Consul of the Great Britain, arrived in Taiwan and succeeded in opening the British Consulate in Tainan. Later he moved the consulate to Tamsui because it was reckoned to have more prospect of international trade. Since then, many foreign ships arrived and docked in Tamsui.
The dockland includes the pier, western-style houses, and warehouses. The length of the quay is about 150 meters. The construction is gravity quay wall design. There are mooring stones and embarkation points for loading and unloading transports. The mooring bollard for the old days can still be seen on the wharf. Today the wharf is managed by Cultural Affairs Department, New Taipei City Government, and regarded as a historic spot. Tamsui Customs Wharf was renovated on July 10, 2014. It is open to the public after the renovation.
~translated by Yu-Shan Zheng