Tamsui Customs Officer’s Residence
Tamsui Customs Officer's Residence was located at 15, Zhenli St., Tamsui Dist. After the 1858 Treaties of Tientsin, more Qing’s ports would be opened for foreign trade, including Tamsui. As a result, Tamshui customs office was established. In 1862 a residence was built to accommodate the customs officer, secretaries and other officers.
Due to its ash white appearance, this beautiful colonial-style building was nicknamed “Little White House” in Chinese. It overlooks the Tamsui River and faces Guanyin Mountain across the river. This residence and the nearby Presbyterian Church, Which was Dr. MacKay’s residence, provide examples of distinguished western style architectures in Tamsui.
Address：No.15, Zhenli St., Tamsui Dist., New Taipei City 251, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
~Translated by Yu-Ying Wu