Tamsui Chapel is located at 8, Maxie St., Tamsui Dist., New Taipei City 251, Taiwan (R.O.C.). The chapel was designated as a historic spot in 1998. Today it is a famous cultural attraction and historic relic.
After Dr. George Leslie Mackay arrived in Tamsui on March 9, 1872, he actively engaged in missionary work. In addition, he also learned Hokkien and local culture. He practiced medicine and preached in the rented house. Therefore, this house is the first generation of this Chapel.
The Chapel heralded the start of a new era, following the death of Dr. Mackay. The Chapel was rebuilt with the North-American architectural style. Due to its white plaster brick wall, the Chapel was commonly known as “White Chapel”. Due to the shortage of space, it was decided to rebuild the chapel again in 1928. The reconstruction funds came mainly from the church members and the churches in Canada. The second reconstruction was initiated in 1932 and completed in 1933.
The Gospel Bell[編輯]
The inscription on the pedestal of the Gospel Bell bell reads:
The Gospel Bell
Tamsui Chapel is Gothic style, and the bell tower is one of the church characteristics. The bell tower has been existed since 1915.
The bell makes magnificent sounds, which may be heard across the Tamsui River. The bell was mentioned in the famous Taiwanese ballad, “the Twilight in Tamsui”. ….
By the Tamsui Church of The Presbyterian Church In Taiwan
December 23, 2012
~Translated by Yu-Ying Wu